Lets's See Some Stats
According to an article released today by the Washington Post regarding PC sales, "Quarterly Shipments Drop 14% as Windows 8 Fails to Stem Advance of iPads." So what are we seeing happen in the workplace and at home? Consumers are losing interest in what was once a revolutionary product: the personal computer (PC), and as a provider of IT services in Jacksonville, we're seeing many local tech-based businesses cater towards tablet users.
- People are expected to buy around 919 million smarthphones in 2013.
- IDC expects around 200 million tablets to sold in 2013.
- The Windows 8 tablet accounted for only 1% of tablet shipments around the world in 2012.
- Companies like Dell and and Hewlett-Packard Co. experienced a 14% decline in their world-wide shipments of laptops and desktops in the first quarter of 2013 compared to 2012.
- Gartner Inc. felt an 11.2% decline in shipments. They called this the worst drop since the first quarter of 2001.
- H-P showed a 24% decline in the first quarter. This was the steepest drop in global shipments compared to rivals.
- Apple Inc. PC shipments fell 7.5%